Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Collographs with Akua Inks


And finally, here is a sampling of the collographs that came out of the 2nd half of the printmaking class. Above is an acrylic plate with a design made out of beeswax and then inked with Akua waterbased inks.


Making the collograph plate.


Inking it carefully by hand.


And finally, printing the plate on an etching press.


The first print is fairly dark with ink.


Then we roll up with Release Agent and pull a ghost print.


Here is our palette of colors. Wild!


And a sampling of prints. 


As I was busy helping around the room I only got a portion of the lovely work created.




The image above is one of the plates ready to print.




 Here you can see the glorious scenery outside our classroom.



































The above print was a combination of collograph printed over a monotype.






And finishing up with a monotype that slipped through the cracks.

I want to thank all of the industrious and talented printmakers who joined me in the classroom. It was amazing. Truly amazing.


15 comments:

Kimberley McGill said...

Utterly gorgeous!

Clare Wassermann said...

What a wonderful session - though my very favourite image is the picture of the collograph plate ready to print

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Now that's an intriguing process and what amazing results! They are all wonderful, but I must say I love the print design of the second plate you showed where you see the plate and the image it left. Cool :-)

Brian Kasstle said...

I simply MUST go to Encausticamp. MUST!!! You can't find encaustic classes in the LA area.

Chris said...

Those prints are ALL fabulous! The colors, the textures...beautiful!

Gwen said...

I love encaustic, but don't have a place to do it. I really, really, really want to come to encaustic camp!

I am in love with the prints from this workshop!

Jacky said...

Judy you visit the most amazing places...what a wonderful venue!

Oooh I love this process. The prints are wonderful!

I really, really, really want to come to encaustic camp too ( and would love to meet Gwen one day!)

Jacky xo

lyle baxter said...

judy, your photos are truly amazing too! makes me drool! thanks for showing us all the great work!

Linda Sue said...

Utterly gorgeous! Fabulous workshop- I have envy for sure, though the process is still mysterious to me. Results are amazing! WOW!

Christi said...

This is fantastic!

Crish said...

Thanks for posting all these photos; it was great to see the plates and the prints. However, collograph is spelled "collagraph" (with an "a"). Check out every book on the subject on Amazon - all are spelled with an "a"! The word was coined in the 1950s by Glen Alps I believe.

Crish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn B said...

Hi Judy - these prints are amazing! Can I ask what type paper you are using and if you had any problems with the paper sticking to the wax on the plate? Thanks :)

Carla Trujillo said...

Nice work! How well does the bees wax hold up to the pressure of the press?

Unknown said...

#29 knocks my socks off! Stunning.